Categories

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Once A Princess Movie Review

"Love is just a tool to numb the pain."
I watched "Once A Princess" last week using my Mom's money. (Since I don't have any money for now..) The theatrical poster I've seen in Sta. Lucia just attracts me of what do the movie offers for a High School Student like me. I did liked the film. YET, it failed my atmosphere of emotions. It is still a popcorn entertainment though. Here's my review for the movie. 
(Hello to my teacher! Mrs. Mara Llantada!)

Screengrab from YouTube

THE  REVIEW

Love is just a tool used to numb the pain.

Back in high school, nerdy, unassuming Leonard (Enchong Dee) managed to win the heart of Erin (Erich Gonzales), the "campus princess" of Gibbons International School. But Erin ended up breaking his heart, choosing to be with Damian (JC de Vera) the son of a wealthy congressman who could provide salvation for her ailing, bankrupt family. The movie then moves six years later. Erin and Damian are married and barely scraping by. Erin decides to get herself a job to earn money while Damian is sidelined with a leg injury. Her boss turns out to be a much-changed Leonard, and he's looking to show her just how different he really is.

The film doesn't really do a good job of selling either side of this romantic triangle. On the one side, you have a paper-thin villain whose love for Erin is never really explained. 

Once a Princess comes alive when Erin is in agony. In the name of love, she allows herself to be victimized.

Gonzales effectively portrays Erin with such affecting fragility, efficiently bringing across the message that the film is not just about her character’s amorous whims but also about her anguish.

There just isn't enough focus on how these characters actually love each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment